The food and culinary sector in PEI is central to its economy, from well-established traditional industries to increasing demand for new Island-made food and beverage offerings, including a vibrant craft beer market. The Government of Canada is stepping up efforts to make strategic investments designed to help businesses build on emerging opportunities, create jobs, and contribute to the economy using the skills and resources of the region.
Sean Casey, Member of Parliament for Charlottetown, on behalf of the Honourable Navdeep Bains, Minister of Innovation, Science, and Economic Development and Minister responsible for the Atlantic Canada Opportunities Agency (ACOA), and the Honourable Richard Brown, Prince Edward Island Minister of Communities, Land and Environment, on behalf of the Honourable Chris Palmer, Prince Edward Island Minister of Economic Development and Tourism, today joined officials from PEI Brewing Company Ltd. to announce support for increased production capacity at the craft beer brewery.
Through its Business Development Program, ACOA is providing a $500,000 repayable contribution to PEI Brewing Company to help the company renovate its existing facility and purchase new brewing equipment to improve production efficiencies.
This project will add almost 1,000 square feet to the company’s production facility for storage and fermentation processes. This will enable the company to manage production of its brands during peak seasons, and also explore new Canadian markets and export opportunities. It will also result in three new jobs being created.
The Government of Prince Edward Island is providing $754,132 in repayable financing to assist with the expansion.
These investments build on commitments made by the Government of Canada and the four Atlantic Provinces to drive economic growth in the region through the Atlantic Growth Strategy, which supports strategic investments in initiatives that build on the region’s competitive advantages, such as its thriving food industry, strong export potential, growing innovation network, and skilled workforce.
“Across Canada, the food industry shows great potential for both domestic and export growth. A long-respected tradition of agriculture and fishing in PEI, combined with recent collaborative efforts in marketing and creative new approaches to developing food products, has been essential for the Island’s growing economy. The Government of Canada supports businesses in Atlantic Canada that are working hard to introduce the region’s quality products to the rest of the world.”
- The Honourable Navdeep Bains, Minister of Innovation, Science and Economic Development and Minister responsible for ACOA
“The PEI Brewing Company has been a leader in the craft brewing industry in Atlantic Canada. It has directly helped create 32 jobs in Charlottetown, and has been an integral part of an exciting culinary scene across PEI. I am pleased that our government understands the long-term value in an investment like this that builds on the distinct strengths and proven assets of our Island.”
- Sean Casey, Parliamentary Secretary to the Minister of Canadian Heritage and Member of Parliament for Charlottetown
“Our province’s growing craft beer industry makes an enormous contribution to our reputation as Canada’s Food Island. PEI Brewing Company is an award winning industry leader in the Maritimes with products in stores and on tap at locations all over the region. This expansion will allow the company to increase production at peak times, supply new markets for its world class products, and add jobs.”
- The Honourable Chris Palmer, Prince Edward Island Minister of Economic Development and Tourism
“The craft beer industry is all about consistency and innovation. Consistency in production and innovation in style are vital elements in our day-to-day operations. With the help of the Atlantic Canada Opportunities Agency’s Business Development Program we have expanded our production and added two new 15,000 litre tanks to our brewery helping us become a prominent export product from Prince Edward Island. We thank the Government of Canada, the Province of Prince Edward Island and our customers for supporting us and helping us grow.”
- Jeff Squires, President, PEI Brewing Company
- The Prince Edward Island Brewing Company Ltd. (PEIBC) was established in 2012, building on the success of an existing Prince Edward Island microbrewery, the Gahan House Brewery, which began in 1997.
- PEIBC brews and distributes a line of 12 craft beers, including seasonals, as well as the first canned craft beer in Atlantic Canada – Beach Chair Lager.
- The company, which currently employs 32 people, distributes its products to New Brunswick, Newfoundland, Nova Scotia, Ontario and Alberta and is exploring export opportunities outside of Canada.
- The PEIBC facility also offers a popular event and performance space in Charlottetown.